Boddies Ramp

Boddies Ramp

Tuesday 31 January 2012

What are these monsters?

I always have a little look at the Irwell, on my back from the canal, at the Marriot hotel. Theres a disused lock there which the fish use as a shelter when the rivers up. I got there as it was just dark and the river was alive! Fish were rising everywhere and some were massive. I dunno what the trout are eating at this time of year and the weird thing is they're only topping at the hotel nowhere else up or down stream maybe there's bugs coming off it, maybe from the kitchen!  I had a little go for 10 mins but nothing, trying everything from trotting maggots and floating bread.

6 comments:

  1. how do you get down to the river at this point? also anywhere to park a car? - i normally fish at granada and park half mile towards the quays - very few fish showing there though - mancspurs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fish the far bank where you were but if I drop a line near the lock I just use a long landing net handle. Theres a big car park facing the studios\hotel then you just walk over the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the large lock near the TKMAX end of the retail park?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No its next to the Marriot hotel, if you walk down early summer its full of rudd and roach spawning.

      Delete
  4. fish rising in the evenings on that stretch is very common but they are not rising for food feeding on the surface they are just rolling and topping. Fish a cage feeder of bread on the bottom with flake hookbait after the sun has gone down. It works a treat and the hybrids come out to play too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gonna go down today but I went castlefield to get some bait for the pike trip. I'll get on it yet to have an Irwell bream.

      Delete